The Dalby's

The Dalby's

Friday, September 9, 2011

the art of apologies.






I have always been terrible at apologies.....so my family has forever told me.  I don't think I have ever intended to be a "poor apologizer," but for some reason, that is a lesson I never fully passed.  I either had poor timing, bad intonation, or just simply didn't say sorry. 

**Please don't think I never say sorry.  That is incorrect. I just happen to stink at it most times.

Things I have gradually realized (and the September Ensign has taught):

.tone matters
.timing matters
.sometimes apologizing even if your aren't the one totally at fault is necessary
(which usually it is my fault anyway--let's be honest)
.be honest
.provide explanation. simply saying "sorry" is insufficient.  explain as follow :
 "i am sorry i _______. that was unkind and i will be better.




In marriage, I am slowly and surely learning that art of apologizing. And I am forever grateful for that principle.  (It's super easy when you have a stellar husband who is patient and kind.)


Apologizing is a lifetime art.  i.e., I don't just use it in marriage. But, as of late, I seem to be using it a lot of places. 



**Personal note. I happen to be writing this in my family blog because as a person who has struggled with I'm sure needless moments of angst and frustration--I realize many a moment could have been avoided if I simply learned how to say, "I am sorry."

So, babies-to-be-in the future, your momma will teach you at a young age the importance of the value of apologizing.  I'm sure we'll have our ups-and-downs, but that is one lesson you will not miss and I will equally learn to implement.period.

No comments:

Post a Comment